August 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM
- Dan Butler made his major league debut in Sunday's game against the Angels, completing his rise from an undrafted free agent in 2009.
- The newly acquired Eduardo Rodriguez impressed in his second start with Portland, striking out nine over six scoreless innings.
- Another recently acquired prospect, Edwin Escobar, received his call to the majors yesterday, as Heath Hembree was optioned back to Pawtucket.
- Speaking of Hembree, he was recalled earlier in the week and had a stellar debut, hurling four scoreless innings in Saturday's 19 inning loss against the Angels.
- Another player on the move was Blake Swihart, who was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this week.
- WEEI.com's Joon Lee looks at Swihart's development behind the plate and the hard work the young catcher has put in to get to where he is today.
- WEEI.com's Katie Morrison looks at the leadership of Deven Marrero (pictured, above), and how his teammates look up to the young shortstop.
- Top pitching prospect Henry Owens (pictured, below) made his Pawtucket debut on Monday night, picking up the victory for 6 2/3 scoreless inning. The left-hander's fantastic evening was recapped by SoxProspects.com's Managing Editor Matt Huegel.
- The Providence Journal's Tim Britton reports that Owens is unlikely to see time this season in Boston, despite a strong start in Pawtucket.
- Owens was just one of the pitchers highlighted by Britton's colleague, Brian MacPherson, in a great look at the changeups of many of the Red Sox top pitching prospects.
- The Players of the Week for the week of July 28 to August 3 were Pawtucket starter Matt Barnes and Greenville first baseman Sam Travis. The July Players of the Month were Rafael Devers and Cody Kukuk.
- Former Red Sox prospect, Ryan Kalish, who spent time this season with the Chicago Cubs, was designated for assignment on Friday.
Photo Credit: Deven Marrero & Henry Owens by Kelly O'Connor.