July 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Here are this week's notes:
- The big news of the week was the arrival of Christian Vazquez (pictured, right) who was called up to the majors following AJ Pierzynski being designated for assignment. The 23-year-old has made an immediate impact with Boston, going 5 for 11 with three doubles and five RBI in his first three games.
- The most recent SoxProspects Players of the Week were two highly regarded prospects, Trey Ball and Rafael Devers.
- Devers continued to be an absolute terror for opposing squads, going 13 for 26 with seven extra base hits and 11 RBI in his first seven games for the GCL Red Sox since being promoted.
- Yesterday's MLB Futures Game saw two Portland teammates start the game for the U.S. team. Henry Owens (pictured, below) pitched a scoreless first inning, allowing a hit and striking out one. Sean Coyle went 0 for 2 as the team's starting second baseman.
- Speaking of Owens, he made Baseball America's Prospect Hot Sheet for his start on July 6 against New Britain. In the start, Owens was dominant, tossing eight innings, allowing one run on three hits and a walk, punching out 11.
- Shane Victorino continued his rehab yesterday for Lowell, going 0 for 2. If all goes well, the outfielder could be back as soon as Friday.
- Boston.com's Craig Forde talked with Pat Light about the ups-and-downs of his professional career thus far.
- The Boston Globe's Julian Benbow caught up with Nick Longhi and highlighted his decision making process last year following the draft.
- SoxProspects Director of Scouting was busy this week with Scouting Scratch on Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa as well as six members of the pitching staff in Lowell.
- SoxProspects Northeast Scout Chaz Fiorino looked in depth at Matt Barnes start on July 2 in the latest installment of The Write-Up.
- Wednesday will be a big day for five members of the Portland Sea Dogs, as five members of the squad will take part in Eastern League's All-Star game. Owens, Coyle, Brian Johnson, Blake Swihart and Derrik Gibson were named to the team on Tuesday.
Photo Credit: Christian Vazquez & Henry Owens by Kelly O'Connor.