Friday, June 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM
This week's minor league notes:
|Williams Jerez |
- The regular season kicks off in three days for the Lowell Spinners and GCL Red Sox. Some of the prominent players who have been assigned to Lowell are Williams Jerez, Kendrick Perkins, Mookie Betts, and Yunior Ortega. Click here to see the full list of players who have been assigned to the team. There still may be some additions between now and Monday.
- The GCL roster is led by Frank Montas, Cody Kukuk, and Beau Bishop. While not many players have been officially assigned to the GCL, SoxProspects has the projected roster for the team.
- The Red Sox have officially signed 10 members of their 2012 draft class. The two most recent players to sign were Pat Light and Jamie Callahan. Light signed for a $1 million bonus while Callahan's bonus has not been released. Baseball America has a great database that keeps track of all signed players and their bonus amounts.
- Drake Britton was named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for June 4-June 10. He threw 10.1 innings while allowing only three hits and no runs.
- Four members of Salem were named to the Carolina League All-Star Team this week. Jackie Bradley, Jr., Xander Bogaerts, Travis Shaw, and Michael Olmsted will all be at the game, which takes place in Winston-Salem on June 19th.
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com penned a must-read piece on Bogaerts and how he compares favorably to former Red Sox prospect Hanley Ramirez.
- Aaron McFarling of the Roanoke Times did a great piece on the resurgence of Olmsted.
- Right-hander Noe Ramirez made his professional debut this week with Greenville, and it was perfect. SoxProspects Senior Columnist Jon Meoli caught up with Ramirez after the start.
- Matt Barnes continued to dominate this week, tossing a shutout last Saturday, and struck out nine of the 18 batters he faced in 5.0 innings last night. Barnes talked with Sam Dykstra of MILB.com after his shutout.
- Daniel Bard has now made two appearances out of the bullpen in Pawtucket. He has thrown 3.0 innings allowing one run on one hit, walking two and striking out six. He discussed some adjustments he has made with Dan Hickling of the Providence Journal.
- The DSL season is now two weeks old, and the DSL Red Sox are in first place in the Boca Chica North Division. They have been led by two 2011 bonus babies, Manuel Margot and Raymel Flores. Margot's .351/.435/.676 triple slash leads the team, as do his eight steals in eight attempts, but Flores is not far behind, hitting .317/.417/.561. The pitching has also been stellar, allowing a division-low 39 runs. Keivin Heras leads the team with a 0.00 ERA in 8.0 innings, while Jose Espitia has thrown 6.0 innings allowing one run on three hits, while walking only one and striking out eight.