March 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Today's minor league notes :
- Ian Browne had a chance to speak to Felix Doubront after he returned to game action on Thursday. Doubront indicated he may start the season in XST.
- Josh Reddick discusses feeling pain similar to an oblique injury he suffered last season and being ready for action in Pawtucket with WEEI's Alex Speier. In the same piece, Alex Hassan and Tim Federowicz talk about their roommate shuffle and Brandon Workman's agent change is detailed.
- Junichi Tazawa was placed on the 60-day disabled list as he continues his rehab from Tommy John surgery last April.
- The Boston bullpen situation began to get a little clearer when reliever Dennys Reyes had his contract purchased yesterday. Reyes was also added to the team's 40-man roster.
- Alex Speier also details the numerous cuts that were made this week as team rosters began to round into shape. Scott Atchison, Rich Hill, Randy Williams, Brandon Duckworth, Michael Bowden and Andrew Miller were all sent to minor league camp. Two players who were not sent down, Nate Spears and Drew Sutton, will both be with the big league squad until the end of spring training.
- According to Speier, Boston's considerable pitching depth has drawn the interest of teams looking for arms as the season draws near.
- SoxProspects' Jonathan Singer announced four new DSL signings this week on Twitter. The new additions include RHP Jose Espitia, SS Cleuluis Rondon, C Alixon Saurez, and 3B Aneudis Peralta. To follow our staff, be sure to add the SoxProspects Twitter list.
- Ryan Khoury fouled a ball off his calf in a March 25 contest and is day-to-day with the injury.
- Our newest staff member, Elizabeth Dreeson, took in some action at the Red Sox Minor League Complex this week. She details a sparkling outing by Drake Britton, an update on the rehabbing Renny Parthemore, and a look into what lineups we may see for the affiliates this season.
- The past few days saw numerous minor league players get a chance to see action with the big league squad. These players include: Yamaico Navarro, Aaron Bates, Josh Reddick, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Drew Dominguez, Alex Hassan, Pete Hissey, William Vazquez, Matt Sheely, Ryan Khoury, David Mailman, Jon Hee, Dan Butler, Ronald Bermudez, Oscar Tejeda, Will Middlebrooks, Bryce Brentz, and Mitch Dening.
- In order to trim the roster of the minor league affiliates, a number of players were released this week according to SoxProspects sources. These players include Chris Court, former third round selection Bryce Cox, TJ Large, Ryne Lawson, Lance McClain, Ryne Reynoso, Ken Roque, Michael Bugary, Stephen Fox, Ramon Soto, Kelvin Pichardo and Doug Wogee.