September 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
This week's minor league notes:
- In honor of SoxProspects.com's 10th anniversary, Editor-in-Chief Mike Andrews joined Executive Editor Chris Hatfield for a special edition of the podcast. They discuss the start of the website, key points in the site's history, and also the role the site played in a major trade for the Red Sox.
- Hatfield was busy this week, as he was in Fort Myers for the Fall Instructional League this past weekend. Check out his Twitter account (@SPChrisHatfield) for some good notes on the young prospects. Some of the players he saw include Brian Johnson, Jon Denney, Manuel Margot and Rafael Devers.
- The Red Sox added left-hander Miguel Pena (pictured) to the Surprise Saguaros roster this week, making him the eighth player the Red Sox will be sending to the Arizona Fall League. The season starts on October 9, and you can follow the squad on our 2013 Fall-Winter Leagues page.
- The Dominican Winter League held its annual draft on September 12, and seven Red Sox players were selected. Here is a link to the draft results, with a brief explanation of how the draft works. The highest player selected from the Red Sox was Aneury Tavarez, who went in the third round. The next six players, listed in the order they were drafted, were Heri Quevedo, Francisco Tavarez, Yunior Ortega, Gerardo Olivares, Raynel Velette and Dreily Guerrero.
- The Red Sox announced their minor league award winners earlier this week, and the results were similar to those voted on by the SoxProspects.com community. Mookie Betts and Henry Owens were Player and Pitcher of the Year respectively.
- When the Red Sox celebrated their clinching of the American League East, several players who spent time in Pawtucket this season were in the locker room for the celebration. Joining them were PawSox coaches Gary DiSarcina and Rich Sauveur, and Brendan McGair of the Pawtucket Times notes that members of the big league staff made them take part in the festivities.
- With the Red Sox now planning out the postseason roster, Kevin Thomas of the Portland Press Herald shows how two key members of the 2013 PawSox can make an impact in October.
Photo Credit: Miguel Pena by Kelly O'connor
Jim Crowell is a Staff Writer for SoxProspects.com