August 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Here are this week’s minor league notes:
- Right-hander Matt Barnes (pictured) was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket this week. The eighth prospect in the Red Sox system according to SoxProspects.com made his debut Thursday night, tossing 5 2/3 innings, allowing just three hits and two walks while striking out seven. SoxProspects.com Staff Writer Kevin Pereira was in attendance for the outing, and spoke with PawSox manager Gary DiSarcina afterwards about what he saw out of the right-hander. DiSarcina liked the way he didn't try to do too much and was aggressive on the mound.
- Barnes' former Portland teammate, right-hander Anthony Ranaudo, was named a year-end Eastern League All-Star. The 23-year-old hurler is the first Sea Dogs representative to receive the accolade since 2011.
- SoxProspects.com Editor-in-Chief, Mike Andrews, speculated on potential September call-ups in his weekly ESPNBoston article.
- The SoxProspects.com podcast team got together to discuss the recent promotion of Xander Bogaerts, the hot performances of Mookie Betts, Henry Owens, and Manuel Margot, as well as the selections for the Arizona Fall League.
- Speaking about those selections, six Red Sox players were named to the upcoming Arizona Fall League this week. Garin Cecchini (pictured), Travis Shaw, Derrik Gibson, Keith Couch, Noe Ramirez, and Pete Ruiz will all be members of the Surprise Saguaros. Boston could still add additional players as rosters fill out closer to the league kicking off.
- Cecchini was the highlight of SoxProspects.com's Northeast Scout Ian Cundall's latest Scouting Scratch. Cundall goes in-depth on the third baseman's strong suits and where his development may be heading.
- Earlier this week, left-hander Brian Johnson was promoted to High-A Salem. Johnson joins a Red Sox squad in the midst of a playoff run.
- The DSL and GCL Red Sox wrapped up a playoff spot by winning their divisions. Salem's victory last night clinched them a playoff spot. Pawtucket is in the driver's seat for their playoff destiny while the chances for Portland are diminishing. Lowell is currently a game and a half out of first place and two games back in the wild card race.
- The Providence Journal's Brian MacPherson touched base with former Red Sox prospects Stephen Fife and and Tim Federowicz who have both contributed to the Dodgers success this season.
- WEEI's Alex Speier recaps Daniel Bard's recent outings with the GCL Red Sox. Bard threw a shutout inning in his first appearance, but struggled with his control on Thursday.
- Speier also reports that right-hander Clay Buchholz will likely need two more rehab outings before returning to Boston.
- In a minor move, Boston traded right-hander Clayton Mortensen to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for outfielder Quintin Berry. Berry, who was assigned to Pawtucket, is known for his impressive speed and could be a pinch running option for the Red Sox.
Photo Credit: Matt Barnes and Garin Cecchini by Kelly O'Connor.
John Gray is a Staff Writer for SoxProspects.com. Follow him on Twitter @JohnRGray.