March 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM
Today's minor league notes:
- PawSox broadcaster Dan Hoard recently caught up with long-time Red Sox minor league catcher Dusty Brown and provides updates on his battle to break camp with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Brown says the decision to sign with Pittsburgh was based purely on the opportunity to make the big league club, though he misses the organization where he spent “all of [his] adult life” before leaving this off-season.
- Salem Red Sox broadcaster Evan Lepler had a chance to sit down with pitcher Jason Rice at minor league spring training. In the linked audio file, Rice discusses motivating himself before taking the mound, fitting in with the major leaguers, and dancing.
- Chili Davis discussed his new role as the PawSox hitting coach and building trust with the players on the Triple-A affiliate's official website.
- Newly-signed Dominican second baseman Anuery Tavarez's injury has been updated from a hamstring problem to a broken right hand that required surgery, according to Jonathan Singer. He will miss 1-2 months.
- Sources indicated left-handed pitcher Michael Bugary, a 15th round draft pick in 2009, was one of several players released by the club this morning. More info to follow.
- Minor league campers who saw game action since Tuesday were Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Hassan, Aaron Bates, and Ryan Dent.