SoxProspects News

September 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Buchholz done for season


General Manager Theo Epstein and Manager Terry Francona announced this afternoon that the Red Sox have decided that as a preventative measure RHP Clay Buchholz will not pitch again this season, including the post-season. Francona told reporters that the decision was the result of strength and mobility tests that indicated fatigue. Francona and Epstein both emphasized that Buchholz has not suffered an injury. Epstein told reporters that fatigue prompted in the long layoff between his Sept. 6 relief appearance against Baltimore and his Sept. 19 start in Toronto, and resurfaced in an unproductive bullpen session Sept. 22. Buchholz had been approaching his team-mandated innings limit of 155. In four games (three starts) with the big club Buchholz went 3-1 with an 1.59 ERA (four ER) allowing 14 hits over 22.2 IP, striking out 22 and walking 10.

 
Copyright © 2003-2018 SoxProspects, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Email: info@soxprospects.com