June 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Day One of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft is underway and the first 26 picks in round one are now in the books. For the first time in the history of the draft, three shortstops were selected with the first three picks in the draft. With the first selection, the Arizona Diamondbacks drafted Dansby Swanson, a junior shortstop out of Vanderbilt University. The Houston Astros with the second overall pick took LSU shortstop Alex Bregman, who the Red Sox had selected three years ago out of high school in the 29th round. With the third pick, the Colorado Rockies selected high school shortstop Brendan Rodgers out of Lake Mary High School in Florida. The last time two shortstops been selected with the first two picks was the 1982 draft, when the Chicago Cubs selected Shawon Dunston and the Blue Jays selected Augie Schmidt.
The Rangers took the draft's first pitcher with the fourth pick in UCSB right-hander Dillon Tate. He becomes the first UCSB player ever taken in the first round. The Astros had two first-round picks after failing to sign 2014 first overall pick Brady Aiken. With Bregman the compensation pick for not signing Aiken, the Astros with their second pick took a familiar face in outfielder Kyle Tucker out of Plant HS in Florida. Tucker is the younger brother of current Astros outfielder Preston Tucker.
The Red Sox with the seventh pick in the draft took Arkansas outfielder Andrew Benintendi a draft eligible sophomore who exploded in his second season with the Razorbacks. The SEC player of the year batted .380 with 19 home runs while stealing 23 bases. Another notable first-round selection was the Cleveland Indians' selection of left-hander Brady Aiken with the 17th overall pick. Aiken was the first-overall pick of the 2014 draft by the Astros and had agreed on a $6.5-million signing bonus, but the Astros were concerned with his elbow after a post-draft physical and reduced their offer. He ended up missing nearly all of the 2015 season after Tommy John surgery. Vanderbilt University had three players selected in the first round in Swanson, Carson Fulmer and Walker Buehler.
Here is the rundown of the picks in the first round of the 2015 draft.
1. Arizona Diamondbacks - Dansby Swanson, SS, Vanderbilt University
2. Houston Astros (compensation for failure to sign Brady Aiken) - Alex Bregman, SS, LSU
3. Colorado Rockies - Brendan Rodgers, SS, Lake Mary HS (FL)
4. Texas Rangers - Dillon Tate, RHP, University of California - Santa Barbara
5. Houston Astros - Kyle Tucker, OF, H.B. Plant HS (FL)
6. Minnesota Twins - Tyler Jay, LHP, University of Illinois
7. Boston Red Sox - Andrew Benintendi, OF, University of Arkansas
8. Chicago White Sox - Carson Fulmer, RHP, Vanderbilt University
9. Chicago Cubs - Ian Happ, OF, University of Cincinnati
10. Philadelphia Phillies - Cornelius Randolph, SS, Griffin HS (GA)
11. Cincinnati Reds - Tyler Stephenson, C, Kennesaw Mountain HS (GA)
12. Miami Marlins - Josh Naylor, 1B, St. Joan of Arc Catholic SS (Ontario)
13. Tampa Bay Rays - Garrett Whitley, OF, Niskayuna HS (NY)
14. Atlanta Braves - Kolby Allard, LHP, San Clemente HS (CA)
15. Milwaukee Brewers - Trent Clark, OF, Richland HS (TX)
16. New York Yankees - James Kaprielian, RHP, UCLA
17. Cleveland Indians - Brady Aiken, LHP, No School
18. San Francisco Giants - Phil Bickford, RHP, College of Southern Nevada
19. Pittsburgh Pirates - Kevin Newman, SS, University of Arizona
20. Oakland Athletics - Richie Martin, SS, University of Florida
21. Kansas City Royals - Ashe Russell, RHP, Cathedral HS (IN)
22. Detroit Tigers - Beau Burrows, RHP, Weatherford HS (TX)
23. St. Louis Cardinals - Nick Plummer, OF, Brother Rice HS (MI)
24. Los Angeles Dodgers - Walker Buehler, RHP, Vanderbilt University
25. Baltimore Orioles - D.J. Stewart, OF, Florida State University
26. Los Angles Angels - Taylor Ward, C, Fresno State University