June 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Day One of the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft is underway and the first 16 picks are now in the books. There were a few surprises, but most of the top talent came off the board as early as expected.
With the first overall pick the Astros selected re-draft pitcher Mark Appel, making his risk to return to college last year pay off in a big way. Third baseman Kris Bryant was a mild surprise for the Cubs with the second pick, but right-hander Jonathan Gray, who was expected to go in the top two, didn't slip far as he was quickly snatched up third by the Rockies. The Cleveland Indians jumped in at five and took a potential target of the Red Sox in Clint Frazier, if the mock drafters of the world are to be believed.
The biggest surprise of the first 16 picks was probably the Kansas City Royals taking Hunter Dozier at eight, who they likely hope to save a couple bucks on so that they can spread the allotted bonus money for that pick to later rounds. Another potential target of the Red Sox who they ended up passing on, Austin Meadows, slipped slightly, but not out of the top 10, as Pittsburgh grabbed him at nine. The brother of Red Sox prospect David Renfroe and a top college hitter in the draft, Hunter Renfroe, was selected 14th overall by the San Diego Padres. The 16th overall pick, J.P. Crawford, is also the cousin of former Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford.
1. Houston Astros - Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford (CA)
2. Chicago Cubs - Kris Bryant, 3B, University of San Diego (CA)
3. Colorado Rockies - Jonathan Gray, RHP, Oklahoma (OK)
4. Minnesota Twins - Kohl Stewart, RHP, St. Pius X HS (TX
5. Cleveland Indians - Clint Frazier, 3B, Loganville HS (GA)
6. Miami Marlins - Colin Moran, 3B, North Carolina (NC)
7. Boston Red Sox - Trey Ball, LHP, New Castle Chrysler HS (IN)
8. Kansas City Royals - Hunter Dozier, SS, Stephen F. Austin (TX)
9. Pittsburgh Pirates (M. Appel - unsigned) - Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS (GA)
10. Toronto Blue Jays - Phillip Bickford, RHP, Oaks Christian HS (CA)
11. New York Mets - Dominic Smith, 1B, Junipero Serra HS (CA)
12. Seattle Mariners - D.J. Peterson, 3B, New Mexico (NM)
13. San Diego Padres - Hunter Renfroe, RF, Mississippi State (MS)
14. Pittsburgh Pirates - Reese McGuire, C, Kentwood HS (WA)
15. Arizona Diamondbacks - Braden Shipley, RHP, Nevada (NV)
16. Philadelphia Phillies - J.P. Crawford, SS, Lakewood HS (CA)