March 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Today's minor league notes:
▪ On Saturday, the Red Sox optioned Stolmy Pimentel and Oscar Tejeda to Double-A Portland, and reassigned Tony Pena Jr., Jason Rice, Clevelan Santeliz, Kyle Weiland, Alex Wilson, Tim Federowicz , Ryan Lavarnway, Brent Dlugach, Hector Luna, and Che-Hsuan Lin to minor league camp.
▪ Boston also voided the contract of RHP Jason Bergmann on Saturday. Bergmann arrived at camp with a shoulder injury, and didn't see any game action this spring.
▪ The Sox recently picked up two new free agents - RHP Ramon Soto and OF Jose Colorado. Soto spent the last six seasons as a catcher in the Athletics' organization, but the Sox will try to convert him to pitching this season. Colorado, a 21-year-old outfielder from Ahome, Mexico, stood out in the 2010 Mexican Rookie League, earning himself an international free agent contract with the Red Sox.
▪ In Rule 5 news, RHP Daniel Turpen is 0-1, 7.36 ERA, 2.45 WHIP, 4/4 K/BB in 3.2 IP for the Yankees. LHP Cesar Cabral was 0-0, 4.91 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 4/2 K/BB in 3.2 IP for Tampa Bay. The Rays waived Cabral, and Toronto picked him up off the wire on Saturday. According to multiple reports, Toronto will either trade Cabral back to Boston or place him back on the waiver wire. Chances are high that both will end up back with the Sox before camp breaks.
▪ According to a report by Alex Speier, Sox left-hander Felix Doubront's return to the mound is coming along slowly. Doubront has thrown from 120 feet and has had 20 pitch sessions in front of the mound, but there is no timetable to even throw a bullpen session yet.
▪ Per Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, pitching prospect Kyle Weiland has spent much of spring training following and learning from John Lackey. The two pitchers have similar arsenals, and Lackey has been giving Weiland pointers on the intricacies of facing major league competition.
▪ Minor league campers who saw game action since Thursday were Ryan Khoury, Aaron Bates, Tony Thomas, Matt Sheely, Alex Hassan, Lenny DiNardo, Ryan Dent, Michael Almanzar, and Blake Maxwell.
▪ 2010 Red Sox minor leaguers Mark Holliman and Patrick Ryan returned to independent ball this week, signing one year deals with Winnepeg and Bridgeport, respectively. Of the 2010 Sox minor leaguers who hit free agency last November, only Carlos Delgado, Robert Manuel, Chad Paronto, Zach Hammes, Ramon A. Ramirez, Luis Segovia, and Armando Zerpa have not signed on with other clubs.